A few weeks ago, I saw this article on the 24 Reasons You Should Stop Underestimating Ohio circulating on my news feed. A repercussion, I suppose of living in my husband's hometown in the Buckeye State! As a self-admitting East Coast snob, I have a love/hate relationship with the state in which I reside. After reading this article, I was surprised at how many things on this list I've already done. I also decided that in order to help me get onboard with this infamous swing state, perhaps I need to check a few things off this Ohio Bucket List. So, based on the aforementioned list, here's where I'm at:
|Our quaint, little Ohio home.|
2. Young's Jersey Dairy- I've heard so many good things about this place and it's soo close. It's crazy that I haven't been there yet!
3. Lake Erie- Meh. I grew up on Lake Ontario so I could take it or leave it.
4. West Side Market- This sounds a lot like Reading Terminal Market in Philly which I loved when I lived in the City of Brotherly Love! If so, count me in!
5. Ohio State football- Please don't tell my in-laws, but honestly, I could care less. I'm not a huge fan of college football and seriously, OSU fans are way too intense.
10. Skyline Chili- If you've never had Cincinnati Chili, don't let the cinnamon and cocoa powder scare you off. This stuff is delicious. This was another love that pre-dated my Ohio days. However, all my experiences with the stuff have been homemade. I have yet to eat at Skyline!
11. The "Christmas Story" House- I feel almost ashamed to admit this, but I have never really been a huge fan of The Christmas Story. That being said, I can't deny the fact that it is a staple of American pop culture and should definitely be on my list of things to see.
12. Amish Country- I've lived in Pennsylvania for 6 years of my life. Is it rude to say I think I've had my fair share of Amish encounters?
13. The Ridges- An old lunatic asylum? This probably won't be making the top of my list anytime soon. I am such a wuss and hate being scared!
15. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- How my Mom and step-dad have been here multiple times but I haven't continues to allude me. I'm a HUGE fan of classic rock, and really, any music in general. So this place is a must!
17. Warthers Museum- A museum of carvings? Sounds thrilling...
18. Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park- Normally, a park devoted to aviation would not interest me in the slightest. But I've had several out-of-staters tell me what a cool place this is, so alas, I think I may have to check it out.
20. The Pro Football Hall of Fame- This sounds like one for Chuck. Let's leave it at that.
21. Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens- I haven't actually figured out where this is, but the mansion and grounds do look absolutely gorgeous.
23. Johnson's Island- An island that held Confederate prisoners-of-war during the Civil War? I've never heard of it until now, but I can definitely get onboard and bring out my inner history nerd!
24. The Akron National Hamburger Festival- I'm all for healthy eating, but if there's one thing I love- it's cheeseburgers! How I've never known about this event until now is astounding. I am making this a Summer 2014 priority!
> > >
If you ask me, 7 out of 24 isn't bad for this Upstate New Yorker, but I can't wait to check more off my list!
So what do you think? Have you ever been to Ohio? Are there any sites I should see that didn't make the list? What are your favorite local destinations in your home state?