While on maternity leave, I needed a new show to marathon-watch so of course, I dove headfirst into a the dark underworld of Netflix. I used to watch Gilmore Girls, or at least the first couple seasons back when it was on, but for some reason or another, I lost interest and stopped. It seems like it's got a cult following, so I thought I'd give it a go and try to finish the series. Let me just say, it took everything I had to finish because most of the time, I hated all the characters. These are 10 reasons why I couldn't stand Gilmore Girls:
10. Rory leaving Yale | This ranks higher on the list because, duh. No one liked this aspect of the show. Rory spent her whole life preparing for her college years and then let one crappy remark from her boyfriend's Dad totally derail her? I call bullshit. Get your shit together, Rory. Most people would kill to be in your academic shoes!
9. Rory sleeping with a married guy | I know Dean was her high school sweetheart or whatever, but she had her chance and she blew it. So what does she do? She waits until he's married to get back together with him, loses her virginity and essentially destroys his life. Dean was such a good boyfriend to her and I couldn't believe she would pull something so shitty and selfish.
8. Lorelai leaving a man at the altar | Granted, I don't think anyone saw Max and Lorelai together at the end, but seriously, she just took off on their wedding day without a word. Another classic example of a really great, nice guy being completely screwed over by a Gilmore woman.
7. Emily and Richard were downright awful people | I know there were moments when the writers tried to make it seem as if there were a remotely redeemable quality about these two people. But no. They sucked. They were pretentious, snobby, treated their hired help like dirt, tried to break up their daughter's relationship solely based on pride...the list goes on. Ugh.
6. No one can eat like that and be skinny | If they were real people, I'm pretty sure they'd be constipated 100% of the time the way they ate. Just saying.
5. There are just so many annoying characters! | TJ and Liz? So annoying. Taylor? Super annoying. Michel? Annoying (though funny once in a blue moon). Paris? Don't even get me started.
4. Lane could do better | Zach was a lovable idiot, but I thought her and Dave made a way better couple. She needed someone who was at least her intellectual equivalent.
3. Lorelai and Chris getting married | There is not a single thing that could redeem their elopement! First, they both treated marriage like a fun thing to do in Paris and not an actual "til death do us part" commitment, which was seriously irritating. Second, I thought the premise that a 3-year old girl just seamlessly transitioned into their life was wildly improbable. Third, they didn't even bother to include their own daughter (and Lorelai's best friend!) in their wedding. So wrong!
2. Real love doesn't demand ultimatums | Granted, Luke was being kind of a butthead with the whole postponing the wedding thing, but rather than talking about how she felt, Lorelai gave Luke two options: 1. Marry me or 2. We're done. Why couldn't they just communicate and compromise like a normal, functioning couple?! Same thing when Logan proposed to Rory- marry me or we're done. She was 22 years old, if you really loved her, why couldn't you just hang on a couple more years? Good grief, people!
1. I watched every single episode | And cried when Lorelai and Luke finally kissed in the last episode. Despite all my grievances, I still kinda get why people loved this show. And had it been renewed for another season, I would have watched that, too.
> > >
Clearly, my maternity leave was very productive. Are you a GG fan?