How Goldfish Helped me Embrace my Mom Bod

When our boys first started taking swimming lessons at Goldfish Swim School in September, I'll be honest, I was like 90% excited about it. The other 10% of me was too concerned with the fact that I was going to have to don a bathing suit in front of a bunch of strangers. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and then almost 20 pounds more. My feelings about my body were all over the place and on my list of things to do in accepting my postpartum Mom bod, wearing a bikini probably ranked about dead last. It didn't help that I hadn't even bought a new bathing suit since college.

I wondered whether there would be a bunch of Stepford-esque fit moms judging my saggy body. I wondered whether I would be shunned as the inappropriate parent for wearing a two-piece. I wondered about all kinds of crazy scenarios where I was all but flogged for daring to enjoy some fun in the pool with my toddlers.

As I'm sure you can surmise, my fears were completely unfounded. What I've found over the last six months are Moms, Dads, Grandmas and Grandpas in all shapes and sizes. Some moms wear bikinis, some moms wear one-pieces. But out of all the parents and guardians I've come into contact with in the pool, not one of them has been the least bit concerned with my body or my pool attire. They are just as focused on and enamored with their own precious babies as I am with mine.

If you're a new parent, particularly a new mom, it's not easy coming to terms with how parenthood can change the body you've known all your life. It's completely legitimate to feel self-conscious or just unfamiliar with your heavier/softer/squishier frame. But I want to tell you something: don't for a second let those feelings stand in the way of you creating memories with your little ones.

Whether you're starting your kids in lessons at Goldfish Swim School, or maybe you just want to take a day trip to the beach, please know this: NO ONE is paying attention to your appearance. And you shouldn't either. In 20 years, you and your children will not look back and think "Man, I wish I had been skinnier when my kids were little." What you will remember were the skills gained, the experiences shared, and the memories created.

If you feel like I did before "diving in," I implore you- just get in the water. You and your babies will be so thankful that you did. I'm so thankful to Goldfish for helping me to figure that out.

This post is brought to you by Goldfish Swim School.

No comments:

Post a Comment