I feel the need to differentiate between my favorite posts (as in, the ones that aren't book or baby updates, but the few occasions when I actually sat down to write something real about things happening in my life or the world) versus my most popular posts which are the ones that received the most pageviews this year. I didn't include guest posts (though none of them were in the top 10) and I indicated which of the most popular posts was also a personal favorite with an asterisk.
10. 12 Months as Mommy vs. 30 Before 30 | 1 Year Check-In | I'm confused about why Charlie's 12-Month update was more popular than any other month? My bucket list check-in won't be winning any literary prizes by any means, but I loved that I could track the progress I made in the last year. It was better than I was expecting!
9. Crosby's Birth Story* vs. A Week in Tears | I'm kind of irrationally upset that Crosby's birth story wasn't higher on the list- who doesn't love a good birth story?! I wrote "A Week in Tears" as a kind of stream-of-consiousness way of sorting out my thoughts about the election. I got some positive feedback on it from some people in my personal life and wasn't expecting it to resonate with people as much as it did.
I've debated sharing this because the truth is, I still have a lot of mixed emotions about it. But here goes. Anyone who knows me knows I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love my organization. I love that I play a large part in connecting low-income Ohio families to fresh, healthy foods. Last week, I tearfully sat down with my supervisor and resigned from my position. As of December 1, I will be a stay-at-home Mommy. Although I love the idea of being the one to raise my boys during their formative years, the truth of the matter is that I wouldn't have had to make this difficult choice if we had adequate family leave in this country. That, among other reasons, is why #imwithher. I encourage everyone to vote today. Hopefully for the candidate who will do better by American families. 🇺🇸 #nastywoman #electionday #SAHM #breastfeeding #wearwhite #pantsuitnation
8. Dear Husband (On Your Birthday)* vs. Why Blogging is Safe | I wanted to talk about my insecuritues and fears of rejection as a writer, and "Why Blogging is Safe" is what happened.
7. That Time I Threw Up into a Diaper Box and my One-Year-Old Laughed at Me* vs. It's Labor Day Weekend and I'm NOT in Labor | Both Mommy posts. The first was how I announced my pregnancy with Crosby and the second was how defeated I felt at being 8 days overdue. Ironically, it was pre-scheduled and published as I was in labor.
6. Baby 2.0 Gender Reveal vs. 3rd Trimester Thoughts* | I really wish I had had the patience to do a more fun gender reveal, but our pictures still turned out pretty cute. My second pregnancy felt like it flew by in the blink of an eye, so the latter post was my attempt at taking a moment to capture how I was feeling at the onset of my 3rd trimester with Crosby.
5. Baby #2 is a... vs. On Bittersweet Changes | I talked about the terribly emotional experience of quitting my job to become a Stay-at-Home Mom. It's been a month since I posted it, but already I'm doing and feeling much better than I was.
4. What I Read: January-April vs. That Time I Threw Up into a Diaper Box and my One-Year-Old Laughed at Me* | I think the only reason this particular reading recap got so many views was because it fell smack dab in the middle of my other pregnancy announcement/gender reveal posts.
3. 3rd Trimester Thoughts* vs. Crosby's Birth Story* | I feel kind of guilty that Crosby's birth story isn't my absolute favorite. I do love it, and will always be thankful I wrote it down to look back on, but in terms of the feelings and emotions associated with it, it just doesn't feel as genuine as my top two.
Third trimester say whaaaat?! Got to have breakfast with another mama-to-be and talk all things birthing and babies. It's crazy, but I'm starting to feel more and more ready for this little one to make his entrance into the world 😊 #boymom #pregnancy #babypepround2 #thirdtrimester #28weekspregnant #bumpstyle #babypicsapp
2. Baby Registry: Round 2 vs. Dear Husband* | I wrote this letter to my husband on his birthday, but it was really a "thank you" to him. He has grown up so much in the time we've been married and goes above and beyond every day as the Daddy to our boys. This love letter was a testament to that.
1. He Grabbed Me by the Pussy: My Sexual Assault Story vs. A Letter to my First Baby | Although I'm proud that my sexual assault story resonated with a lot of people, it isn't one of my personal favorites simply because it's not a great memory. On the other hand, as I was feeling anxious about becoming a Mom to two, Charlie and I shared a wonderful night together that I hope I remember forever. It was a memory that left me with so much peace about the impending change in our family dynamic and was my absolute favorite post of the year.
> > >
If you're a blogger, did you notice a discrepancy in your popular vs. favorite posts of the year?